Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What has been your experience in using melatonin to treat insomnia?

What has been your experience in using melatonin to treat insomnia?
oddly enough, i have been researching melatonin recently as well. my boyfriend has real trouble sleeping, which in turn causes me to have trouble sleeping when he keeps getting up and moving around all night. after regular sleeping pills didn't seem to work, i decided to buy him some melatonin. he began a couple of weeks ago, and the results have been *amazing*. where he would previously take an and hour or so to fall asleep on a really good night, he can now fall asleep every night in 5-10 minutes! he sleeps deeply and through the night. he has not noticed any nightmares. i myself have tried it a couple times when i've been stressed and unable to sleep. it has worked for me as well, with no nightmares.
i'd say that it's certainly worth a shot. melatonin is also suggested to have many other positive effects on the body, so there's truly no harm in trying. if you live near a trader joe's i suggest their "trader darwin's" brand chewable peppermint melatonin tablets.
I hear it gives people nightmares. I've tried it once while traveling to Europe. It helped me sleep lightly on the plane. I didnt experience any nightmares in particular at that time, but who knows? I could have just been lucky.
I've tried using it for jet lag, to no effect (traveling halfway around the world--Orlando to Beijing, and back, several times). Based on that, I don't think it would work for insomnia.
Have you tried exercise? That's always helped me sleep better.
If you don't use melatonin every day, your body will produce more on its own. Using melatonin just a few days a week will definitely help you go to sleep and stay asleep longer. I definitely recommend it highly

No comments:

Post a Comment